You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.

Dr. Seuss

Thursday, May 27, 2010

I AM A MAN WHO WILL FIGHT FOR YOUR HONOR


If I didn't know the defintion of a best friend and soul mate two months ago, I am quickly learning to define said reality. My lovely wife and I celebrated our two month anniversary last night with "home made" pot stickers, lemonade, and two cats attacking mosquitos in the living room slash playground. But this is not where the story begins our loyal readers....It begins many hours before in the heat of the San Antonio sun where odds and fates would play out in a duel that would become our evening of destiny. There I stood, in the midst of the Mcdonalds hoards, trying to understand why my "fast food" was taking so long and feeling the overbearing presence of a sweaty, unshaven woman breathing down my neck. At long last I lunged forward and demanded my coveted vanilla yogurt parfait with accompanying granola chunks and free cup-o-ice and triumphantly jaunted towards the shady place of rest in the far corner of the upscale restaurant. Balancing the tray ever so carefully as not to lose my dollar menu prize, I strode past the neighboring scarfmungers and slid by the glowing and taunting red box machine. It took only moments for the smooth, crunchy, chunky goodness to slither its way down my throat and into its gaping abode before I realized I had walked right past the beckoning call of the DVD carnival, the rental paradise, the box that calls itself "red." There was something different about it today, it didn't have that familiar, "I'm just a dispenser" look about it, no it was far beyond this. It almost hummed a meloncholy tune as I approached its warmth and took up residence in the beaming light of its projected ideas of pleasure. Resistance was completely futile and I immediately surged forward in rage of a sudden fury, searching and scavenging for just the right flick, for just the perfect night. The night that would forever be known as my two month anniversary. I could not get this wrong, two long months depended on the selection that would define a blossoming marriage. And do you think I missed this opportunity my friends, I say unto you, nay. For across my fingertips scrolled the sweetest title a man can behold in such a moment as this, a title that held the names of Pat Morita, Ralph Macchio and Elizabeth Shue...it was none other than the original Karate Kid! It was not only perfection, it was rational and beautiful all at the same time. I knew in the very second I carefully pressed "add to cart" that my gorgeous bride would approve my selection. Now, those of you following this desparingly detailed dallup are wondering when the conclusion (if there is one) will finally arrive and if perhaps there is a point to such exasperated detail. Fast forward to 9pm and you will soon perceive the destination. I waltzed up the walkway and fumbled my keys out of my bottom cargo pocket and clumsily opened the door, my estatic shaking creating a difficult entry for both me and my prize. Finally, I burst through the door and to my dismay my bride was no where to be found, not high nor low or under the mattress. But alas, sitting perched upon our counter in the same halo of light in which I had discovered it, was yet a twin copy of the very "Karate Kid" I had been drawn to earlier in the day in the humidity and swelter of a San Antonio Mcdo's. Not only had my soul mate decided to celebrate our second month anniversary with a movie, and not only had she decided on the very same day to surprise me, but she also chose the exact same movie from 20 years ago that we both loved as kids. On the same day!!! Now many of you may not believe in a soul mate or in fate, but in the name of Miagi I tell you it was a miracle! There was much rejoicing as we discovered our mutual delivery of twin gifts and this much rejoicing I cannot write in detail. All I know is that the minds and souls of two people who love each other can be connected in ways a person cannot possibly describe, although I made a valiant effort:)


I love you Afton! This has been the best two months of my life and I know it will only get better!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, that is pretty much amazing!!! You two couldn't be better for each other! Great story telling by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete