You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.

Dr. Seuss

Monday, May 10, 2010

Ode to Mothers

There are so many things to be said for mothers, so many poems, songs, and musings made to them. Endless amounts of time spent thinking of them and their boundless influences on our lives. Memories of their warmth and love throughout the years of childhood clear through to adulthood. The scraped knees, the kisses, the warmth of a hug, a cookie presented, the laughter shared, a tear shed, hard lessons learned and so much more. I can not think to create some beautiful piece of literature to describes all that a mother is and all that she does, but I can hope to put into words the love I have for the two beautiful women in my life.


I am lucky enough to have added another woman into my life whom I lovingly call mom. Diana, you are such a sweet and dear woman to me, and I look up to you for your strength and thank you endlessly for raising my dear sweet eternal companion into the man he is. Your warmth and acceptance of me is worth more than words can ever fully express. I have always wanted to add onto my family and have that woman who would become my mother in law, become just that, another mother. You are all that I could have wished for and more! From the moment I met you I knew that I could love you and become the best of friends. I have longed for that and am so grateful to find that in you. So far, I have found you to be warm, loving, kind, hilarious, patient, and full of wisdom. I know that I will be able to come to you for some of my many thoughts and concerns and receive thoughtful and experienced advice. I can not wait to further develop our relationship and wish to say I love you, and thank you for bringing me into your family with open and loving arms.


Mom, I love you. How else can I possibly say all that is in my heart for you? You have been there through so much and continue to be there even in my worse hard headed moments, or phases.. There isnt a memory I have that doesnt involve you. Always the supportive and loving force behind all that I have accomplished. You are my best friend and that will never change. Yours is a strength and courage that I often try to copy, knowing that it has made you into the beautiful and confidant woman you are today. I admire your determination and willingness to sacrifice for those you love, I hope that we can begin to pay you back in some small way. Never have I met anyone who gives like you do, a more dedicated and loving friend I have never seen. Your fierce love and dedication to your children is something that I hope I can emulate when the time come for me to be a mom. You have done so much for us, and me especially, I dont know how to say thank you enough. Mom, you are a beautiful woman whom I have always looked up to and continue to think are the most amazing person I have ever met. You are filled with the strength of the spirit and teach with a fiery testimony that captivates all that hear it. Those lucky enough to see your heart are warmed by the love that you give completely. To be among those closest to you is a treasure that none take for granted, least of all me. You are more than my mother, my best friend, my support and loving confidant, you are my spiritual sister. I love you more than words mom. Thank you again for being you and for raising me into the woman I am today. I love you

Our concert to Keith Urban, one of my most favorite mother daughter memories ever! ;)

1 comment:

  1. So very kind and thoughtful of you Afton. Thank you so much. I am a little sad that you are so far away I can't spend some time doing things with you and your mom. We will have to go to a movie or something just us girls when you come up. I am so proud to have you as anothe daughter in our family. I appreciate that you love my son for who he is and you can see the wonderful qualities in him. It is true love that can bring out the good in a partner. You guys be safe and will talk to you soon. Sure love you!

    ReplyDelete